Wednesday, October 19, 2011

sewing with boys

Did you know Tanner loves to sew?
I think it's getting to use the sharp needle.  About a year or two ago, I made him a sewing bucket with plastic needles, yarn and felt.  He picked up two simple stitches fairly quickly so we moved to real needles.  It had been a while since he had sewn anything so I thought a pumpkin would be perfect.


1. He hand drew his pumpkin shape then cut it out.


2. Trace the first pumpkin onto another piece of felt.


3. Pin the two pieces together.  He loves this part because it involves lots of sharp pins.


4.  Sew!  I always thread the needle, tie the knot and get him started.
Hint: Use a short piece of thread.  It's easier for little fingers...he needed 2 short pieces for this piece.


5.  Then he sews.


Our pumpkin became a Jack-o-Lantern bean bag...we filled it with beans right before he sewed the last few stitches.

No comments: