Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Teaching a Child to Read

Before I start this post...this is my disclaimer...though I may have been a teacher and considered highly qualified to teach a child to read there is no perfect method and sometimes I am not always sure what's next or how to teach it.  Since I believe there is no perfect method, I believe the best person to teach a child to read is the one or ones who know him/her best...the mommy and daddy! Each child will learn differently and at a very different pace.  I am also posting this for a friend who asked me to...I would love anyone to add what has worked for them or their teaching K tricks!

Read, Read, Read

     This is SUPER important...if we want our children to love to read and to want to read, reading must be more than just part of the bed-time routine. I used to read as Tanner ran laps around the house but one day he finally sat and listened.  We read cookbooks, maps, receipts(yep...it's true), food labels, comic books, magazines, street signs, etc. I tell parents to read so much when you're in the grocery that people are looking to see if your crazy...read your list out loud, read nutrients, read sale signs...you get it!
     A,B,C's...we read lots of books with the A,B,C's to expose T. to the alphabet.  (Side note...T. finally sang his A,B,C's, recognized his letters and learned most of the sounds all within a 2 month period...talk about his timing!  I thought he would be the only child to go to K unable to sing his ABC's!)

Reading Readiness

     Learn to look for the signs of reading readiness. 

           Some Reading Readiness signs…these are from the blog 1plus1equals1.  *I new T. was ready when he started rhyming, could answer questions about stories we read and he started saying the letter a words started with.


•Your child pretends to read books

•Your child knows the sounds letters make {not just the names of the letters but the sounds they make {think: Leapfrog Letter Factory}

•Your child notices environmental print—signs, TV show names, street signs, store names, cereal boxes, etc.

•Your child knows where the words are on a page in a book

•Your child knows that we read from left to right and can imitate this action as you read.

•Your child can retell a story you read in his/her own words {showing the ability to comprehend and retell}

•Your child holds book the proper way {not upside down or sideways}

•Your child recognizes his/her own name and other familiar names or words {mom, dad, siblings, etc.}

•Your child shows an interest in writing and pretends to write {or is already writing letters}

•Your child understands rhyming words

•Your child understands beginning sounds {ask-what sound do you hear at the beginning of the word “cat”?}

•Your child is interested in learning to read!


During this phase of Reading Readiness we:

watched this...best video ever

read this
-I made a few games that  I would be happy to share if someone wanted them

and played lots of this


and this


We also talked about all the signs and words around us as we were in the car! He learned to recognize Chik-fil-a, Target and Hope first...wonder what we do all week!

Teaching Reading

     My reading program consists of  phonics, sight words and easy readers. Some people are avid fans of just the phonics approach or just whole language but we like a little of both!

     My very favorite beginning readers are the phonics-based readers by Nora Gaydos. Tanner prefers these to the Bob Books.  The Nora Gaydos books are really funny...I would have started with these if I had known about them sooner! These books are so great because they start with simple 3-letter words and simple sentences.  They also have comprehension and rhyming questions at the end of the Nora Gaydos books...added bonus! Tanner was always so excited when he read by himself even if it was just...Mat sat.
        ...we used the first BOB books Set 1, then Nora Gaydos Clever Critters:Now I Am Reading Level 1: Advanced and are just starting level 2...it's hard!
     Leveled readers come after beginner readers and are a little bit more difficult to find good ones. We love these...most words are CVC or sight words with some extras! Some say level 1 but are really difficult...just know you have to open each one and see if it's appropriate for your child's ability level!

We have been enjoying these lately.  I used the highlight tape to highlight his sight words.

Puppy Mudge Takes a Bath (Ready-to-Read. Pre-Level 1) Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox (Hello Reader!, Level 1)  Biscuit's Big Friend (My First I Can Read Series) The Spooky Tire (Trucktown Ready-to-Roll Series: Level 1) Uh-Oh, Max (Trucktown Ready-to-Roll Series: Level 1)  Hop on Pop  Water


     I am also using the $5 sight word activities from 1plus1equals1...You Can Read.  Tanner loves all of the activities and we put his sight words into a word cube that we roll and play games with. The program came with Bingo, cutting, playdough boards, writting, etc. I originally started with the Dolche list but then found this resource and it really helped organize me.  I also recommend adding number and colors words.  We started sight words by making a book with pictures and family member names! We have a sight word wall in the playroom.  He just glues the new words on as we learn them. 
     Phonics-"Associating a letter sound with a letter" .  Teach 1-2 letters at time and teach the sound they make. It is best to teach the letters out of ABC order.  Teach short vowels first "the middle mystery" sounds(I always wrote then in red). Associating an action with vowel sound like "i" says /i/ like "itchy"...have them pretend to itch.  Once your child has mastered the individual sounds you can start working on blending them together. Letter magnets are a great tool for teaching reading as well. Use them on the fridge or on cookie sheets. We played several games such as making letters with playdough, writing or hiding them in sand, hide and seek with the sounds, I Spy, scavenger hunts and more...all while practicing the sounds.  Tanner loves to make silly words!
****WARNING...once your child can spell and read your world changes! Tanner knows what words we are spelling and he has written some hilarious words just practicing writing CVC words..."S..E..X" was his lastest...no he doesn't know the meaning!!! AGH!

    












    

   

3 comments:

Jodie said...

Stephanie, Thanks for posting this. We are struggling with what to do with Porter as he is meeting most (90% I'd say) of this readiness to read criteria and he is not even 3 yet. I am not and never will be a teacher. I come up with crafts some days but it exhausts me to no end and I just would rather send him somewhere (over to your house perhaps?) He loves to read and if it were up to him, we'd read together 24-7. He recognizes all and knows the sounds of many letters. Pretends to read book on his own and has memorized many of them or their general story. He calls out letters in stores and on signs. And he just started rhyming words. Obviously we do flashcards, puzzles and games that enhance his learning but I just can't keep up. Do I need to just suck it up and be glad he is well past his age group in so many areas and keep doing what I'm doing until preschool? Or should I seek out some sort of curriculum to keep him stimulated? I wish I had the creative drive that you and your gifted colleagues have!

Stephanie said...

Jodie...when they are ready they're ready! Lots of kiddos start reading when they are 3. No curriculum needed just play games that encourage practicing letter sounds, lots of ryhming, what letter does ____ start with etc. He'll probably start recognizing sight words soon. Make a matching game with family names a pictures, buy the first BOB book set, get BOOGLE Jr., give him a list of letters to find foods at the grocery store. I have more ideas if you want. It's always best if you can make it a game. Encourage him when he seems interested and don't push him when he doesn't want to do it! Thanks my advice...keep me posted!

Jodie said...

We got the BOB book set 1 and a Nora Gaydos flashcard set and beginning reader book kit. Porter is VERY interested in them and learning to read in general. We watch a leapfrog movie pretty much everyday, and he loves the numbers and going to school one. He also spotted some little curriculum books in the Costco Connection that he has said he must have to learn to read. So I'd say things are going smoothly but I am trying to be careful that it stays fun. When it becomes too challenging, he gets frustrated and gives up so I just tell him that we are done for the day and that it wil be easier the more he learns and the older he gets. He seems to be okay with that.